Mission & Accreditation
Additonally, Western Kentucky University is one of only 36 insititutions in the U.S. to be accredited on all four arts areas: Theatre, Dance, Music, and Art & Design.
Department of Theatre & Dance Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Theatre & Dance is to develop in students the ability to synthesize knowledge and creativity in performance and production, as well as skills in problem solving, group dynamics and leadership; all intended to make our graduates viable in the professional fields of theatre and dance and/or other vocational endeavors.
Dance Program Mission Statement
We commit ourselves to the following objectives:
- To provide a challenging and diverse dance curriculum for our degree-seeking students and those who major in other discipline
- To provide opportunities that challenge each dance major to realize the full potential of his/her dance talents.
- To adequately prepare students to meet the rigorous standards within the dance field and society.
- To instill within all students an understanding and appreciation for the value and significance of dance in the professional field and in a global culture
- To nourish a high-quality academic environment
- To support the creative and scholarly research of the dance faculty, especially in ways that enhance teaching and promote diversity of perspective, style, and methodology
- To advocate excellence in dance education in support of cultural diversity
- To serve the community of southwest Kentucky through high-quality public performances and outreach programs
- To promote and celebrate our national presence in the field of dance