WKU Regents approve Barnes and Noble for bookstore operations
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, May 15th, 2020
The WKU Board of Regents today (May 15) approved a 10-year contract with Barnes and Noble College for bookstore operations.
Barnes and Noble was selected as the preferred vendor after a five-month request for proposal process. The financial package includes store renovation, a one-time unrestricted gift of $350,000, an annual textbook scholarship of $15,000 and $1 million in guaranteed revenue for the first year of the contract with 90 percent of commissionable sales for the remainder.
All current WKU Store employees (nine full-time and eight part-time) have been offered positions by Barnes and Noble at their current salaries.
The contract begins July 1.
“The university textbook industry is changing rapidly,” Susan Howarth, WKU’s Executive Vice President for Strategy, Operations and Finance, said. “There is direct competition from online retailers and sometimes even the publishers. And our students today are digital natives, making them even more likely to shop online.”
Howarth said these changes, including the migration of students to electronic delivery over hardbound books, requires additional expertise and investment available from major retailers.
“We feel transitioning to Barnes and Noble will best serve our students, both in terms of providing excellent customer service and in keeping an eye on overall cost,” she said.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved assigning General Counsel Deborah Wilkins to the position of Senior Advisor/Interim Title IX Coordinator, effective July 1.
- Approved the appointment of Assistant General Counsel Andrea Anderson to General Counsel, effective July 1.
- Approved University Distinguished Professor appointments for Dr. Rodney King, Professor of Biology, and Ms. Yvonne Petkus, Professor of Art.
- Approved a bachelor of fine arts degree in Film Production and a bachelor of science degree in Environmental, Sustainability and Geographic Studies.
- Approved a graduate certificate in Epidemiology.
- Approved undergraduate certificates in Accredited Financial Counselor, Citizenship and Social Justice, Workplace Communication, Game Design, Graphic Design and Paralegal Studies.
Contact: Bob Skipper, email@example.com