Today@WKU: November 6, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Tuesday, November 6th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for November 6, 2018.
- National Speaker Lisa Van Gemert to Present at 2018 Berta Seminar: Noted author, teacher and mother of gifted children Lisa Van Gemert will present at the 2018 Berta Seminar on identifying and addressing the social and emotional needs of gifted students. The event will take place 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Friday (Nov. 9) at WKU’s Knicely Conference Center.
- WKU Week in Photos: Oct. 29-Nov. 3, 2018: Check out the latest installment of WKU Week in Photos by Clinton Lewis and Bryan Lemon of WKU Public Affairs on WKU's Facebook page.
- Fall Super Saturdays: Check out photos from Week 3 of Fall Super Saturdays.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Women’s basketball: WKU Opens 2018-19 Regular Season vs. Top 5 Louisville: Coming off a 30-point win in its lone exhibition contest of the preseason, Lady Topper Basketball is set to open the 2018-19 regular season with a battle against No. 5/4 Louisville inside E.A. Diddle Arena tonight. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. CT. More: Event parking
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers Open Regular Season at Top-25 Washington: WKU Hilltopper Basketball officially begins its 2018-19 season on the road at No. 25/24 Washington at 9:30 CT tonight in Seattle, Wash. The game will air on ESPNU and the Hilltopper IMG Sports Network. More: Countdown to Tipoff
- Volleyball: C-USA Recognizes Anderson and Martin Following Senior Weekend Performances: In their final weekend of volleyball on The Hill, Rachel Anderson and Mary Martin delivered a pair of exceptional performances and have earned recognition from the Conference USA office for their efforts. Anderson earned her third Offensive Player of the Week award of the season while Martin collects her first-ever Setter of the Week accolade.
- Football: Weekly Press Conference: Coach Mike Sanford and defensive coordinator Clayton White discussed the MTSU game and looked ahead to Saturday’s game at FAU.
- WKU celebrates International Education Week: Throughout the next few days, WKU is celebrating International Education Week on the hill with nearly 20 co-curricular events and enhanced courses.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- WKU Spirit Magazine: Check out the fall 2018 issue of WKU Spirit magazine.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; 2018 Football Central; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Highbrow; Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures (through Dec. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- Photo Exhibits: WKU Project 68. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. The Women Photojournalists of Washington, D.C. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- International Education Week. Nov. 3-9. Various events and locations. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Tuesday, November 6
- 10 a.m.: International Education Week Dialogue Series: Exit West. Cherry Hall, room 125. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 11:10 a.m.: International Education Week Dialogue Series: Cultural Communication. Grise Hall, room 238 and 240. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 11:30 a.m.: Genderations Luncheon Series: Cecilia Rose LaPointe. Faculty House. Contact Gender & Women’s Studies, (270) 745-6477.
- 5:30 p.m.: Fall 2018 WKU Student Funshop: Print Making. Kentucky Museum. Pre-registration required by Oct. 30. Contact Lynne Ferguson, (270) 745-2594.
- 6:30 p.m.: Panel Discussion: Strategies for Launching and Building a Career in Today’s Market, moderated by Holly Stuart Hughes, editor of Photo District News. Gary Ransdell Hall Auditorium. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3005.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Lives of the Stars. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Louisville. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7:30 p.m.: Concert: WKU Chorale and SOKY Choral Society. Van Meter Hall. Admission is $10: $8 for seniors/faculty; $5 for students. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Wednesday, November 7
- 9 a.m.: International Business Forum: International Coffee Hour. Grise Hall, room 238. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 10:20 a.m.: International Education Week Dialogue Series: It Improved. Grise Hall, room 238. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 11:30 a.m.: International Education Week Dialogue Series: CHIN 401 Language Study. Ransdell Hall, room 2010. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 1:50 p.m.: International Education Week Dialogue Series: CHIN 321 Language Study. Ransdell Hall, room 2010. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 4 p.m.: Global Value: International Education in the 21st Century. Gary Ransdell Hall Auditorium. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.