Today@WKU: September 28, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, September 28th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for September 28, 2018.
WKU Football will host Marshall at 6:30 p.m. Saturday as part of Parent & Family Weekend on the Hill.
- WKU's 2018 Parent & Family Weekend today and Saturday: WKU’s annual Parent & Family Weekend begins today and continues with a full day of activities on Saturday. The WKU Family of the Year will be recognized during Saturday night’s WKU vs. Marshall football game.
- Parking Lot & Road Closings for WKU vs. Marshall: On Saturday (Sept. 29), the WKU Hilltoppers will host Marshall with a 6:30 p.m. kickoff. Several parking lots will be reserved for event parking and road closures will occur before game time. Information for WKU Housing students; WKU faculty, staff and commuters. More: 2018 gameday and tailgating guide; 2018 tailgating map; Clear Bag Policy
- WKU ranked No. 3 on Top 15 Bachelor’s in Long Term Care Administration 2018-2019: WKU has been ranked No. 3 among Healthcare Administration Degree Program’s Top 15 Bachelor’s in Long-Term Care Administration 2018-2019. The program is part of WKU’s College of Health and Human Services.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Volleyball: Seniors Lead WKU to Five-Set Win at Southern Miss: WKU Volleyball moved to 3-0 in Conference USA matchups with a five-set victory over Southern Miss Thursday night. The Lady Toppers improved to 12-5 overall while the Golden Eagles dropped to 7-9 (1-2 C-USA) as Rachel Anderson led the way with 17 kills and a .424 hitting percentage. Next: WKU vs. Rice at noon Sunday at Diddle Arena.
- Football: WKU vs. Marshall on Saturday: The Hilltoppers (1-3) open Conference USA play against Marshall (2-1) at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Stadium and the Hilltopper IMG Sports Network. More: 2018 gameday and tailgating guide; 2018 tailgating map; Clear Bag Policy
- Soccer: WKU Wraps Up Program-Record Road Swing at Charlotte, Old Dominion This Weekend: After being on the road for nearly the entirety of the month of September, WKU Soccer (2-5-2, 0-2 C-USA) will end its five-match road trip this weekend with visits to C-USA foes Charlotte today at 6 p.m. and Old Dominion on Sunday at noon.
- Tennis: WKU Travels North to Compete in Purdue Invitational: Lady Topper Tennis will compete in the Purdue Invitational this weekend at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind. Teams playing at the Invite include Ball State, Xavier, Miami-Ohio, Lipscomb, Wright State and Northern Illinois.
- Men’s basketball: Countdown to Tipoff - 100 Days of Hilltopper Basketball History: The 100th season of WKU Hilltopper Basketball will tip off in November. WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Basketball leading up to the start of the 2018-19 season.
- Sensory sanctuary: WKU to offer game day calming room for children with autism: As the mother of a child with autism, Amy Hardin has learned there are some community events that her family can’t fully enjoy. That’s why Hardin is working with WKU’s Alumni Association on Saturday to offer a sensory calming room during the football game against Marshall.
- Journalist receives courageous reporting award: A reporter from Mexico received an award for courageous reporting at WKU on Thursday. Marcela Turati accepted The Award for Courageous International Reporting which is sponsored by the Fleischaker/Greene Fund for Excellence in First Amendment Issues at WKU.
- Barren River Area Safe Space Group and WKU Counseling Center hold domestic violence awareness event: October is the official start of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and several groups at WKU joined together for a kickoff event for that cause on Thursday.
- WKU prepping for Marshall offense capable of putting up big numbers: What the WKU defense is preparing for this week and what the WKU defense actually sees out of Marshall this Saturday inside Houchens-Smith Stadium could prove to be two different things. The difference could also present itself on the scoreboard. More: Early-season meeting between WKU-Marshall creates different feel for budding rivalry
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: To the Hill and Beyond is the theme for Homecoming 2018 festivities; Homecoming game vs. FIU on Oct. 27 is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. kickoff. For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; 2018 Football Central; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing email@example.com or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures (through Dec. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- Photo Exhibits: WKU Project 68. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. The Women Photojournalists of Washington, D.C. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Stickwork at WKU by Patrick Dougherty. Oct. 1-19. Kentucky Museum front lawn. Contact Cultural Enhancement, (270) 745-4375.
- ISEC Exhibit: Faces of Domestic Violence. Oct. 1-31. Cynthia and George Nichols III Intercultural Student Engagement Center, Downing Student Union. Part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Contact Elizabeth Madariaga, (270) 745-3159.
Friday, September 28
Saturday, September 29
- Parent & Family Weekend. Various events and locations. Contact Student Activities, (270) 745-2459.
- 8 a.m.: Football Tailgating Areas Open. Various locations. 2018 tailgating map. Contact Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497.
- 9 a.m.: Bowling Green International Festival. Circus Square Park. Contact Bowling Green International Festival, (270) 779-3830.
- 11:30 a.m.: Southern Kentucky Team Penning. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 4 p.m.: WKU Alumni Tailgate & Celebrate. WKU South Lawn. Contact Alumni, (270) 745-2586.
- 6:30 p.m.: WKU Football vs. Marshall. Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, September 30
- Noon: WKU Volleyball vs. Rice. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 1 p.m.: ACT Fall Blitz. Knicely Conference Center. Continues Sundays through Oct. 14. Contact DELO, (270) 745-1910.
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Humans on Mars. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 3 p.m.: Recital: Dr. Kevin Ayesh, piano. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Monday, October 1
- 8 a.m.: Stickwork at WKU. Kentucky Museum front lawn. Through Oct. 19. Contact Cultural Enhancement, (270) 745-4375.
Tuesday, October 2
- 4 p.m.: Topper Tank Elevator Pitch Competition. Grise Hall, room 238. Entry deadline Sept. 28. Contact Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, (270) 745-4142.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Lives of the Stars. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.