Today@WKU: September 13, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Thursday, September 13th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for September 13, 2018.
- Environmental education group honors retired WKU professor: The Kentucky Association for Environmental Education (KAEE) has recognized Dr. Terry Wilson with its Lifetime Achievement Award. Dr. Wilson recently retired as a professor and director of the Center for Environmental Education and Sustainability at WKU.
- Libraries professor participated in Sinologist and translator workshop in Beijing: Haiwang Yuan, professor of the Department of Library Public Services, WKU Libraries, was among 41 Sinologists and translators from 35 countries attending the 2018 Sino-foreign Literature Translation and Publishing Cooperation Workshop hosted by the Bureau for External Cultural Relations under China’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
- Bus Traffic on College Heights Boulevard: There will be increased traffic and bus congestion on College Heights Boulevard near Van Meter Hall today and Friday. School buses will be dropping off and picking up passengers for BG OnStage performances at Van Meter Hall.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org
- Football: Practice Report: WKU Football finished up practice on Wednesday evening, preparing for the team's third game of the season this Saturday as the Hilltoppers make the short trip up the road to face in-state opponent Louisville at 6:30 p.m. CT. More: WKU Baseball to travel to Louisville for scrimmage, tailgate
- Basketball: WKU Athletics to Hold Auditions for National Anthem Singers: WKU Athletics has announced audition dates for people interested in singing the national anthem at Hilltopper and Lady Topper home basketball games during the 2018-19 season. Auditions are mandatory to be considered to sing the national anthem before a basketball game and will be held on the main floor at E.A. Diddle Arena on Wednesday, Oct. 3, from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Soccer: Hilltopper Spotlight Series: Hear from Nicole Roseland in this Hilltopper Spotlight.
- Men’s basketball: Countdown to Tipoff - 100 Days of Hilltopper Basketball History: The 100th season of WKU Hilltopper Basketball will tip off in November. WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Basketball leading up to the start of the 2018-19 season.
- Hilltopper RB LaFrance emerges as playmaker: Down 31-21 to Maine in the fourth quarter Saturday and needing a big play, WKU went to its speedy new freshman. Running back Garland LaFrance lined up in the backfield next to quarterback Drew Eckels for a shotgun snap from the Hilltoppers’ 25-yard line. After the ball was snapped, the freshman LaFrance took off on a wheel route down the left sideline.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: To the Hill and Beyond is the theme for Homecoming 2018 festivities; Homecoming game vs. FIU on Oct. 27 is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. kickoff. For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; 2018 Football Central; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures (through Dec. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- Photo Exhibits: WKU Project 68. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. The Women Photojournalists of Washington, D.C. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Thursday, September 13
- 9:30 a.m.: BG OnStage School Day Performance: Pirates Past Noon KIDS. Van Meter Hall. Contact Elise Charney, (270) 904-1382.
- 7 p.m.: DiscoverWKU Nashville North. Hilton Nashville Airport, 2200 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, Tennessee. Contact Admissions, (270) 745-2551.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Humans on Mars. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Friday, September 14
- 9:45 a.m.: BG OnStage School Day Performance: Pirates Past Noon KIDS. Van Meter Hall. Contact Elise Charney, (270) 904-1382.
- 12:30 p.m.: WKU Volleyball vs. ETSU. Part of WKU Tournament. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 6:30 p.m.: BG OnStage Performance: Pirates Past Noon KIDS. Van Meter Hall. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for ages 6-18, $5 for age 5 and under. Contact Elise Charney, (270) 904-1382.
- 7 p.m.: WKU Volleyball vs. Washington State. Part of WKU Tournament. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.