Today@WKU: September 7, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, September 7th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for September 7, 2018.
- Gameday Information for WKU vs. Maine: WKU Football will host the University of Maine on Saturday in the home opener at 6:30 p.m. Tailgating areas open at 8 a.m. Pregame festivities include an appearance by the Budweiser Clydesdales along Avenue of Champions at 3 p.m. and a special appearance by Cage the Elephant on the South Lawn at 4:30 p.m. Reminder: WKU has instituted a Clear Bag Policy for all home football games. Several parking lots will be reserved for event parking and road closures will occur before game time. Check out information from WKU Parking & Transportation for WKU Housing students; WKU commuters & faculty/staff More: 2018 gameday and tailgating guide; 2018 tailgating map; Clear Bag Policy
- View from the Hill: Connecting with students is key for ISEC: You can’t correct until you connect. That’s the key to the success of the Cynthia and George Nichols III Intercultural Student Engagement Center or ISEC. WKU's Amy Bingham explains how the program has taken off in the View from the Hill.
- History student interns at U.S. Senate Historical Office: Read about WKU student Tommy Sullivan, a double major in History and Spanish and a student worker in the History Department office, who spent his summer interning in the United States Senate Historical Office.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Football: WKU vs. Maine on Saturday: WKU hosts Maine in the home opener of its 100th season of football. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium; the game will be broadcast on ESPN+ and the Hilltopper IMG Sports Network. Members of WKU’s All-Century team will be recognized. More: Coach Sanford previews Saturday’s game; Cage the Elephant special appearance; 2018 gameday and tailgating guide; 2018 tailgating map; Clear Bag Policy
- Volleyball: Lady Toppers Open Homestand with Holiday Inn-University Plaza Invitational: After playing six of its first seven matches of the 2018 season on the road, WKU Volleyball will finally return home for a length homestand that opens with the Holiday Inn-University Plaza Invitational today and Saturday. Chattanooga (4-3), Notre Dame (4-1) and Miami (Ohio) (5-2) are all set to visit The Hill.
- Soccer: WKU Drops Non-Conference Finale at Vanderbilt, 2-0: Freshman goalkeeper Bailee Witt made a career-high eight saves as WKU concluded its 2018 non-conference slate with a 2-0 setback on the road at SEC foe Vanderbilt on Thursday evening at the Vanderbilt Soccer Complex. Next: The Lady Toppers will open their 2018 C-USA schedule at 1 p.m. Sept. 16 at Southern Miss.
- Men’s golf: Hilltoppers Travel to Indiana for First Tourney Under Metts: The WKU Hilltopper Golf program will play with heavy hearts this season as it begins a new era with its first tournament of the season. The Hilltoppers open the season under first-year head coach Chan Metts this weekend at Indiana's Fuzzy Zoeller Invitational in Henryville, Ind.
- Cross Country: Hilltopper Squads Headed for Golden Eagle Invite: WKU Cross Country will be on the road this weekend as the team heads to the Golden Eagle Invite at Tennessee Tech. The event will begin on Saturday, with the women starting at 8:30 a.m. and then the men to follow at 9:30 a.m.
- Men’s basketball: Countdown to Tipoff - 100 Days of Hilltopper Basketball History: The 100th season of WKU Hilltopper Basketball will tip off in November. WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Basketball leading up to the start of the 2018-19 season. More: Vote for All-Century Team.
- Cage the Elephant to perform on WKU's South Lawn: Fans of Bowling Green-formed rock band Cage the Elephant hoping for a homecoming will get their wish Saturday with a show at WKU.
- Healthy D-line leads to improved WKU pass rush: WKU got to the quarterback fewer times than almost any other FBS team in 2017. Julien Lewis knew that needed to change this season.
- Freshman Isenbarger fills void for thin Lady Toppers: Katie Isenbarger hasn’t been eased into college volleyball. With roster attrition affecting WKU, coach Travis Hudson has put the freshman on the court early and often.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: To the Hill and Beyond is the theme for Homecoming 2018 festivities; Homecoming game vs. FIU on Oct. 27 is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. kickoff. For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; 2018 Football Central; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures (through Dec. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- Photo Exhibits: WKU Project 68. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. The Women Photojournalists of Washington, D.C. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Friday, September 7
- 11 a.m.: WKU Volleyball vs. Chattanooga. Part of Holiday Inn-University Plaza Invitational. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 5 p.m.: Opening Reception for Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures. Kentucky Museum. Contact Brent Bjorkman, (270) 745-6261.
- 6 p.m.: WKU Volleyball vs. Notre Dame. Part of Holiday Inn-University Plaza Invitational. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Saturday, September 8
- West Kentucky Horse Sale. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 8 a.m.: Football Tailgating Areas Open. Various locations. 2018 tailgating map. Contact Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497.
- 9 a.m.: Gifted Education Update. Gary Ransdell Hall, room 2064. Contact Kentucky Association for Gifted Education, (270) 745-4301.
- 2:30 p.m.: WKU Volleyball vs. Miami (Ohio). Part of Holiday Inn-University Plaza Invitational. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 4 p.m.: WKU Alumni Tailgate & Celebrate. Near Preston Center on WKU South Lawn. Contact Alumni, (270) 745-2586.
- 4:30 p.m.: Special Appearance: Cage the Elephant. WKU South Lawn. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 6:30 p.m.: WKU Football vs. Maine. Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, September 9
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Humans on Mars. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Monday, September 10
- 7 p.m. ET: DiscoverWKU Louisville. Louisville Marriott East, 903 Embassy Square Blvd., Louisville. Contact Admissions, (270) 745-2551.