What exactly is LeaderShape®, Inc.?
LeaderShape®, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization committed to developing young adults to lead with integrity. The LeaderShape® Institute is an interactive, energizing, and unique experience that builds leadership skills no other program can match. For over 20 years, the LeaderShape® Institute has made a difference in the lives of more than 20,000 college students from throughout the country. But be prepared! It is six days of non-stop self-discovery and learning from practical experiences that build your leadership concepts and abilities. It's go, go, go 12 hours a day...and you'll love it!
What will I learn during the program?
Program content reflects key leadership issues: vision, partnerships, integrity, and results. While at the Institute, students learn to:
- Work in high-performance teams,
- Practice decision-making for ethical dilemmas,
- Learn to deal with change,
- Clarify personal values and standards, and
- Understand and respect the values of other individuals.
Participants also learn the importance of trust, communication and group-problem solving through the Team Challenge Course.
Is there a cost associated with participating?
There is a $100 fee to attend LeaderShape®. However, there is money available to help interested participants. The actual cost, per student, for this of the week-long experience is close to $600 and we ask that participants pay only $100 to show their commitment to participating in this experience. Campus Life pays for the rest! If you are selected to attend LeaderShape®, the $100 will be due when you attend one of the mandatory LeaderShape® participant meetings. The meeting dates and times you may choose from will be communicated to you.
How can I find funds to help pay for this experience?
Many students find help paying their $100 fee for this experience in the following ways:
- Ask the department or office where you work if they will sponsor your attendance by paying for this experience (many campus offices will do this, you just have to ask)
- Ask the department in which you major if they will sponsor your attendance by paying for this experience
- Ask a student organization you are active in if they will sponsor your attendance
- Talk to your family and friends and see if they can all pitch in a little to help pay
- Start saving a little bit of money each week beginning now
What will I gain from the LeaderShape® experience?
You will be simultaneously exhilarated, exhausted, challenged and moved by the energy and creativity of approximately 60 of your peers from WKU. You will work with a team forming relationships that, in many cases, will become lifelong friendships. When you leave The LeaderShape Institute, the materials and insights gained will serve you both personally and professionally.
Do I need to have experience as a leader to participate in LeaderShape®?
You do not need to have held any previous leadership roles or have experience as a leader to participate in LeaderShape®. Our participants vary from first-year students who are just getting their feet wet, to upperclass students who have been presidents of student organizations; the mixture of all types of experience makes for an excellent learning environment for all participants.
What are the outcomes of LeaderShape®?
The LeaderShape® Institute works to help participants achieve four primary outcomes:
- To increase their commitment to acting consistently with core ethical values, personal values, and convictions.
- To increase their capability to develop and enrich relationships as well as to increase their commitment to respecting the dignity and contribution of all people.
- To embrace the belief in a healthy disregard for the impossible.
- To develop the capability to produce extraordinary results.
From this experience, WKU LeaderShape® participants will also:
- Learn to work in high-performance teams
- Practice decision-making for ethical dilemmas
- Learn to deal with change
- Clarify personal values and standards
- Understand and respect the values of others
Requirements for applying:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at WKU
- Be in good academic and behavioral standing with the University
- Be returning to WKU 2019-2020 academic year
- Leadershape Institute: TBA
- Application Deadline: TBA
- Acceptance Announcement: TBA
- Participant Meeting: TBA