Refugee Health Summit- April 18, 2019
Registration for this event is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
The WKU Department of Public Health Refugee Health Summit (RHS) will be the first of its kind in Bowling Green, KY and will serve as a community outreach effort to promote refugee health, associated refugee health concerns, and to bring awareness to stakeholders of the valuable asset that we have in serving and receiving services from these new residents. The summit will foster dialogue and develop meaningful action to address the needs of the refugee community.
Anticipated Outcomes: After attending this conference participants should be able to:
- Describe disease processes prevalent in refugee groups in our local community
- Discuss unique aspects of the provision of healthcare to refugees
- Employ appropriate strategies for implementing culturally and linguistically appropriate medical care to refugees
- Identify and implement reduced cost methods for improving language services for refugees
- Complete design of health coaching program
- Build a network of stakeholders who are willing to join forces to improve refugee health in the region and beyond
Continuing Education Units
- Certified Health Education Specialists - 6.5 CECH
- Sponsored by Western Kentucky University Department of Public Health, a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. This program is designed for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) and/or Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES) to receive up to 6.5 total Category I continuing education contact hours. Maximum advanced-level continuing education contact hours available are __0__. Event # 10004
- Nurses - 6.5 Contact Hours
- The South Central Kentucky Health Education Center is approved by the Kentucky Board of Nursing (KRN) as a provider of continuing education under the Provider Number 5-0026, expiration date 12-31-19. 6.5 contact hours will be awarded after attending the entire offering and completing evaluations. KBN # 5-0026-12-19-1283