Click on a title to display those topics.
Prior to Enrollment
Using the Library
Orientation for Online Learners
Registering for Your Courses
In order to register to take an online course, you must first be admitted to the university. If you have not been admitted, you can apply online at www.wku.edu/admissions. Additional materials are required. This page provides more information on required admission materials. The only exception to this policy is for students wishing to take only non-semester based Independent Learning (IL) courses. Those interested in IL courses should refer to www.wku.edu/il/register.php for more information.
Once you are admitted to the university follow the steps below to register for your courses.
- Look up your WKU Student ID
- You can do this by going to http://topnet.wku.edu – then click on "What is my WKU ID?" from the menu on the right side of your screen. You'll want to hang on to this, because you'll use it again and again throughout your time here at WKU.
- Login to TopNet
- TopNet is WKU's student registration and information system, by logging in, you are setting up your TopNet account. Go to http://topnet.wku.eduand login. To login, you will use your 800 number (WKU ID number), with no dashes, as your WKU ID, and the last 6 digits of your Social Security Number as your PIN. The first time you login, you will be prompted to change your PIN to something you can easily remember. In TopNet you will be able to search and register for your courses, view Financial Aid information and accept Financial Aid awards.
- Contact/Meet with your Advisor
- Once you have been admitted, you will be assigned an advisor based on your program of study. You will need to work with your advisor to select your courses – if you explain to your advisor that you're a distance student, he/she will work with you over the phone or by email. If you need assistance reaching your advisor, please contact our office at email@example.com and we will provide you with their contact information.
- Register for your courses
- Your advisor may register you, or he/she may provide you with a list of courses that you can register for your first semester at WKU. If you need to register for courses yourself, the Office of Distance Learning is happy to help with this process. To register, you will take the approved list from your advisor, login to TopNet (as instructed in #2), click on the "Student Services" tab at the top of the page, then select "Registration," then "Register/Add/Drop Classes," and select the term for which you would like to register. You may register using the 5 digit CRN of the courses you wish to take or you may search for courses to add.
Proceed to "Accessing Your Email and Login"