Intent: The WELL Mind concept promotes mental health through policy, program and design strategies that seek to address the diverse factors that influence cognitive and emotional well-being.
WKU Points Achieved in the Mind Feature
Intent: Promote mental health and well-being through a commitment to mental health education, programming and initiatives.
This WELL feature requires projects to promote mental health by integrating it into their commitment to overall health as well as provide basic education and resources on management of mental health, common mental health conditions and services within the local community.
- Commit to Mental Health Promotion: Mental health promotion programs and initiatives promoted to occupants. These efforts are tailored to the culture and needs of the target population as established by Local or national mental health data, research or trends.
- Promote Mental Health Literacy: All employees are offered education and resources that address mental health literacy, including the following: Information about mental health and common mental health conditions, including, at minimum: causes, signs and symptoms of stress, depression, anxiety and substance abuse and addiction. Strategies for supporting personal mental health and well-being, covering, at minimum: regular self-care practices, positive coping skills, and behaviors that influence mental health and well-being. Local mental health organizations, self-help groups and help and crisis lines.
Intent: Support occupant well-being by incorporating the natural environment through interior and exterior design.
This WELL feature requires the integration of nature into the project's interior and exterior through design elements that support direct access with nature using plants, water, light and views, and indirect access to nature using natural materials, patterns, colors or images.
- Provide Access to Nature: The project integrates and encourage occupant access to nature within the building and project site (external to the building) through direct connection to nature through Plants, Light and Nature Scenes. Indirect connection to nature through use of natural materials, patterns, colors or images; Space layout, addressing placement of natural elements along common circulation routes, shared seating areas and rooms and workstations to enhance occupant exposure.
Intent: Increase availability of and access to mental health support services and care.
This WELL feature requires projects to provide occupants with access to essential mental health services as well as offer supportive accommodations for those living with mental health conditions.
- Provide Mental Health Screening: Mental health screening options are provided to all eligible employees at no cost including online or paper self-assessment or screening tool for common mental health conditions addressing, at minimum, stress, depression, anxiety and substance use. Assessment or tool used must be evaluated and approved by a mental health professional, include guidance on interpretation of results and outline next steps for occupants who screen positive or at-risk.
- Provide Mental Health Coverage: Mental health services are available to all eligible
employees at no cost or subsidized by at least 50%, including coverage for the services
below, at minimum:
1. Referrals to qualified mental health professionals and support resources; Inpatient coverage; Outpatient treatment; Prescription medication coverage that allows for proper use of prescribed medications.
2. Clear information on benefits coverage and how to access care services or community resources is easily and confidentially available (e.g., via a health portal or employee website).
3. Confidential benefits consultation is available for all occupants with a benefits counselor, human resources representative or other benefits support staff.
4. Commitment to mental health parity.
Intent: Identify and manage areas of workplace stress and provide programs that support stress management .
This WELL feature requires projects to assess causes of stress within the organization, create a plan for relieving stress and provide training and education to support employees in managing personal stress.
- Develop Stress Management Plan
- Support Stress Management Programs
Intent: Support employee well-being by providing opportunities for recovery and restoration through micro- and macro-breaks from the workplace
This WELL feature requires projects to implement policies that support recovery and restoration from work and encourage a healthy work-life balance, such as breaks throughout the workday.
- Provide Micro- and Macro-Breaks
Intent: Reduce the use of tobacco through interventions that prevent tobacco use and support tobacco cessation among current tobacco users.
This WELL feature requires employee access to tobacco cessation support programs such as counseling, prescription, over-the-counter tobacco cessation medications and nicotine replacement products. It also promotes prevention programs, such as a ban on the sale of tobacco within the project boundary and education on the health consequences of tobacco use.
- Promote Tobacco Prevention
- Support Tobacco Cessation
Intent: Increase availability and access to addiction support services, resources and care and prevent the development of substance abuse and addiction among occupants.
This WELL feature requires projects to outline policies regarding drug and alcohol use in the workplace, provide education on substance use and addiction and support access to substance use services.
- Promote Substance Abuse Prevention and Education
- Provide Access to Substance Use Services
Intent: Have a plan in place and resources available in the case of an acute opioid emergency
This WELL feature requires projects to have a plan in place and resources available in case of an individual experiencing an opioid overdose, including emergency response training for occupants and the availability of an opioid emergency kit containing naloxone, a medication that can be used to reverse the life-threatening effects of an opioid overdose..
- Provide Opioid Emergency Response Kits and Training