WKU Jazz Band Auditions
Fall 2020 Jazz Band Auditions
- Trumpets & Trombones = Pick-ups to LETTER [I] to End. *your choice to play Trpt/Tbn 1 or 2
- All Saxophones audition on Alto Sax = Pick-ups to LETTER (I) - End
- Piano/Vibes = Beginning to Letter [C] and Letter [K] to End
- Bass = Beginning to Letter [G]
- Guitar = Beginning to Letter [G] – comping only
- Drums = Letter [G] to End
Audition Music, PDF Download
Recordings for reference:
(Listen to BOTH versions!! – even if you’ve played this tune before)
- Demo version: Basie-Straight Ahead by Sammy Nestico
- Basie Band version: Basie - Straight Ahead · Count Basie And His Orchestra
- You may use your cell phone, a computer, or a video camera to record your video. A cell phone or computer with Internet access will allow for ease of uploading to YouTube.
- Make sure that YOU are visible from the front (head-on) in the video. Audio recordings without video are not acceptable.
- Once you have finished recording your video and you are happy with it, upload your video to YouTube and designate it as UNLISTED (NOT PRIVATE or PUBLIC).
- Submit your UnlistedYouTube audition in an email to Dr. Herbert (Sarah.Herbert@wku.edu)
- Email Subject = “Jazz Band Audition”
- Body of Email:
- Unlisted YouTube Link address
- Your Full Name
- Cell phone Number
- Briefly describe your experience/comfort level with Jazz improvisation
Audition submissions are DUE by midnight on Monday, August 24th.
To upload a video to YouTube:
- Create a YouTube Account (www.YouTube.com)
- Upload your audition video (A single video should include all scales and etudes).
- Go to your My Videos page.
- Select the video which you'd like to make an unlisted video.
- Click the Edit button to access the video's settings.
- Go to the Privacy section of the page.
- Select UNLISTED (NOT PRIVATE). This makes your video accessible to you and anyone that has the link.
- Save Changes
- Email audition link to Sarah.Herbert@wku.edu
If you have additional questions, feel free to email me: Sarah.Herbert@wku.edu