Professional MBA Option
The WKU Professional MBA Program
MBANoGMAT.com has named the Western Kentucky University MBA as one of the Best Business Administration Programs in America with Reasonable GMAT Waiver Policies
A Top "Executive MBA"
The WKU Professional MBA (PMBA) program is designed to help professionals and mid-to-upper-level managers, with five or more years of experience, achieve their full potential as leaders. WKU's PMBA program has been ranked in the top 5% among MBA programs at US universities based upon learning for multiple years.
The PMBA program is an AACSB accredited, "Executive" MBA program, with these features:
- Meets alternate Saturdays (1 course in the morning; 1 in the afternoon for a total of 2 courses [6 credit hours] per semester)
- Less than two year lock-step program (5 semesters – fall, spring, summer, followed by the 2nd fall, and spring)
- Study teams meet outside of class at your convenience to work on cases and projects
- An international scholarship is offered to help promote a PMBA study-abroad when possible
- We recruit a cohort starting each fall in Bowling Green
The WKU program meets the needs of business professionals wanting to achieve more:
- Attend two courses per semester on alternate Saturdays
- International study-abroad opportunities
- Team-based format
- A cohort begins each fall semester
- AACSB-International Accreditation
We invite you to learn more below about the features and benefist of the WKU Professional MBA program, and how it serves professional working adults who are seeking to elevate their careers and leadership opportunities.
- A GMAT waiver is granted to PMBA applicants who satisfy the experience requirements
- This policy is applied to new applicants only
- The GMAT remains a requirement in our other MBA options (Online and Full-time)
- International Scholarships Available
- Start in the fall as part of a cohort who will complete the program as a group.
- Graduate in less than two years
- Year One: Fall, Spring
- Year Two: Fall, Spring, Summer (five semesters total)
Experienced managers or professionals must have five years or more of qualified experience (Not just five years employment). See the following criteria for qualifications appropriate for an “executive MBA program”.
Qualifying Management Experience Criteria: “The qualified manager has…
- Responsibilities for high dollar amount accounts, equipment, etc.
- Some final decision making power
- Budget/financial related duties
- A record of progressive managerial positions
Qualifying Professional Experience Criteria: “The profession requires…”
- Additional school, training, or certifications beyond bachelors initially
- Continuing education or certifications to maintain eligibility
- Responsibility for high dollar amount accounts, equipment, etc.
- However, the professional position might not always lend itself to "managing" others
- Transcript - showing Bachelor’s degree & 2.75 undergraduate GPA
- Resume - detailing qualifying experience (see criteria above)
- Reference Letter - from your employer showing qualifying experience
*These minimum requirements establish eligibility for admission, but do not guarantee acceptance.
Successful professionals and managers seek an MBA without sitting in up to 8 additional classes just to get prepared for core MBA courses. However, MBA courses are high quality, rigorous, and require preparation.
The WKU MBA is a leading innovator in creating needed preparation in an “on-demand” format. WKU MBA students complete a 4.5 credit-hour “MBA Foundation Modules” course which fully prepares them for the seven Core and three Elective courses. (Students who have completed a full business degree in the past five years do not need the MBA Foundation Modules.
The WKU MBA programs operate on cohort models -- groups of students who complete their coursework together from beginning to end. Cohort models provide supportive faculty and peer networks that assist students in acclaimating to the rigor of coursework, provide a sense of camaraderie, and hone team dynamics that are integral to leadership development.