1. Access FirstSearch directly at http://libsrv.wku.edu:2048/login?url=http://firstsearch.oclc.org/fsip?topic=all&done=referer&autho=100117386, accessible from WKU's web-based databases.
To get the Authorization and Password, call the Reference Desk at 270-745-5007, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or log onto WILLS. Please be prepared to give your student/faculty/staff ID number for varification purposes.
3. Select List All from the list on the LEFTHAND side of the page. Choose a specific database by title and/or description and click on the check box at the left of each title. You may chose up to three databases to search simultaneously. Then click on select. [Note: selection will default to WorldCat (to search for books in libraries throughout the world) if you do not select a database].
4. Type in word(s) or a phrase in the “Search for” box and click on Search.
5a. The titles of the first ten of your results will be displayed. To look at each record click on the title to retrieve the full citation/record. You can print these results one at a time by clicking on the print button at the top of the screen.
5b. To mark records for printing, click on the check box in front of each citation. Once you've marked as many as you would like, select marked records from the results menu at the left to display the citation list. Then click on detailed (next to the clear marks box near top of page) for displaying the marked records in the longest from available for each of them.
|Note: To determine if WKU owns a journal, look for a little house icon with a book in front of it at the end of each citation of your search results. When displaying a record individually or as a marked list, the line: “FirstSearch indicates your institution owns this item” will appear to indicate ownership .|
6. Then use the print icon (located in the gray bar at the top and bottom of each page) to print your list.
7. To do a new search, click on a word under Searching from the list in the blue bar at the left.
8. Click on Help at any time if further instructions are needed.
9. Please get out of FirstSearch by clicking on Exit from the blue bar on the left side of the page.
IMPORTANT: You must exit properly to ensure that other students will also be able to access the databases.