Facebook Pixel J-1 Current Students and Scholars | Western Kentucky University


Skip to main content

We are here to help you with everything related to your J-1 visa.

If you received a DS-2019 form from WKU, you should apply for a J-1 visa.  If we sent you an I-20 form, you should apply for an F-1 visa instead.

J-1 status is primarily for students who come to the United States as exchange visitors. If you are participating in an exchange program and will attend WKU for a set time period (one semester or one academic year) you are an exchange visitor.

Our international student advisors are knowledgeable about J-1 visas and immigration. They can help you before you come to WKU and while you are here. If you have a question or an issue related to your J-1 visa, you have three options for advising:

Apply for a Visa

Applying for the J-1 visa requires many steps.  We also provide information on applying for a J-2 visa for your dependents.

Learn how to apply for a J-1 Visa.   

Maintain Your J-1 Status

You are responsible for maintaining your J-1 status and remaining legally in the United States. You must be aware of the rules and regulations. We help you by providing the appropriate steps to remain in status.

Learn how to maintain your J-1 status.

Prepare for Employment

J-1 students can get jobs with certain conditions. Any off-campus employment requires authorization and on-campus employment has restrictions. We are here to help you understand what is required.

Learn about employment.

Prepare to Complete Your Program

You should start thinking about your post-graduation plans by the beginning of your final semester. Restrictions will affect what you can do. We will help you fulfill all of your obligations before you leave, and we will help you prepare for what is next.

Make post-graduation plans.






Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 9/5/18