The Computer Information Systems department offers several degrees! Please look at the information below to learn about our various programs.
- Business Informatics: The business informatics major requires 72 semester hours and is designed to prepare students for professional careers using an informatics focused approach to control, support, and enhance business operations and functions. Global business is increasingly relying on the acquisition, deployment, and management of information systems and services for use in organizational processes which is resulting in an increasing need for information workers. The business informatics major will provide students with a solid business foundation combined with relevant study of modern technology trends and the impact information systems are having throughout business and society. As demand for computer and information processing services continues to increase, so does the need for hybrid business technology roles. This major will help strengthen the knowledge economy in Kentucky and increase the availability of information workers critical to attracting and retaining corporate interests in the state.
- Systems Management: This is Western Kentucky University's professional major for career-focused students. Modern organizations are growing more complex and need people who have a "Systems Perspective". The SM program emphasizes practical managerial skills, problem solving, critical thinking, communication, and computer fluency suitable for a 21st-century knowledge worker. This major is not a college of business program; it is in University College.
- Computer Information Technology: This is an exciting field of work and study that includes many diverse, technical areas such as Web design and programming, database administration, and computer network administration and security. This is an online program! All classes are taught via the Internet. This major is not a college of business program; it is in University College.
The Computer Information Systems minor is a smart choice! Almost every profession is using computers, networks and specialized application software more and more. A CIS Minor will compliment your major by teaching you how to use today's hottest applications. This program is not for people who are hard-core computer types; they should pursue one of the majors listed above. This CIS Minor is for people pursuing non-IS disciplines who want to be better competitors in their chosen profession. Click here to learn more about the CIS Minor.
They hold doctoral degrees in fields including Information Systems, Computer Science, and Education. In addition, we are proud to include professionals from business and industry as adjunct faculty. Click here to read more about our faculty members.
We would love to talk with you about our programs! Our offices are located on the second floor or Grise Hall in the middle of Western's campus. Our mailing address, email address and telephone number are listed below.
- Mailing Address: Western Kentucky University, ATTN: CIS Department, 1906 College
- Heights Blvd. Bowling Green, KY, 42101
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (270) 745-5408
- Fax: (270) 745-6376