- Residence Halls
- Residence Hall Staff
- Residence Hall Photo Gallery
- Residence Hall Map
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hall Addresses
- Important Dates
- Room Change Requests
- Safety & Security
- What to Bring
- Reasons to Live on Campus
- Apply for Housing
- Barnes-Campbell Hall
- Bates-Runner Hall
- Bemis Lawrence Hall
- Douglas Keen Hall
- Gilbert Hall
- Hugh Poland Hall
- McCormack Hall
- McLean Hall
- Meredith Hall
- Minton Hall
- Northeast Hall
- Pearce Ford Tower
- Rodes-Harlin Hall
- Southwest Hall
- Zacharias Hall
Elevators are provided for your convenience. Anyone found tampering with or vandalizing elevators may be subject to restitution, disciplinary sanctions, and/or criminal prosecution. Misuse or abuse of the elevators will be considered criminal mischief. Only authorized personnel are allowed in the elevator shaft. Students who drop keys, IDs or other items down the elevator shaft may be billed for their retrieval.
Fighting or any physical altercations will not be tolerated in the residence halls. Any violations may lead to disciplinary actions.
General Fire Safety
- The sounding of false fire alarms and tampering with fire-fighting or safety equipment including extinguishers, smoke detectors, sprinklers, exit signs, extinguishing powder, door and fire alarms is prohibited.
- Tampering with or removal of posted fire evacuation signs will result in disciplinary procedures as well as restitution for the replacement signs.
- The use of open-coil, open plate devices, open flames, ember devices, oil lamps and incense is prohibited.
- Candles are not permitted in residence halls.
Fire Safety Regulations
When the alarm, shouted warning, or the sensation of smoke or fire has alerted you, adhere to the following:
- If there is smoke in the room, keep low to the floor.
- Before passing through any door, feel the door knob. If it is hot, do not open the door. Before opening a door, brace yourself against the door and open it slightly. If heat and smoke are present, close the door and stay in the room.
- If you cannot leave the room, open the window. If trapped, attract the fire department by hanging an object out the window. If there is a phone in your room, call WKU Police (270)745-2548 or 911 and give the room number and specific location.
- If you can leave a room, close the door behind you.
- Go to the nearest exit or stairwell. Do not use the elevator.
- If the nearest exit is blocked by fire, heat or smoke, go to an alternate exit.
- IF all exits are blocked, go back to your room, open the windows, and attract the fire department.
- After evacuating a building, move to the designated meeting location. Emergency personnel and equipment will be maneuvering around the building.
- Follow the directions of fire, police, and hall personnel.
- You may reenter the building only after fire and police officials have given their approval.
Smoke Detector Checks
Every month, each resident is required to check the smoke detector in their room and sign a checklist provided by the staff. This requirement is outlined in the State Fire Code.
All residence halls are smoke free. Students, who choose to smoke outside, must stand at least 30 feet away from the building or go to the designated areas.
The following policies concerning the use of electrical outlets must be followed:
- In each duplex electrical wall outlet, no more than four appliances can be plugged in at any one time.
- All major appliances (refrigerator, microwave) must be either plugged directly into the wall outlet or into a heavy duty extension cord plugged directly into the wall outlet.
- Six-way adapters, power taps, and electrical bars are strictly prohibited and will be removed by the HRL staff.
- Use of surge suppressors for computer equipment is permitted. Electrical equipment other than computer equipment may not be plugged into a multi-outlet surge suppressor.
- Possession of firearms, fireworks, or weapons is prohibited. Instruments used to simulate such weapons (such as water guns) are also prohibited
- Objects are not to be thrown out the windows and screens are not to be tampered with. Lights and other items should not be displayed in windows.
- Only the main lobby doors are to be used to enter and exit the building.
- Live trees and other room decorations that constitute a fire hazard ar enot permitted.
- Emergency hallway lights should be left on at all times.
Safety checks are to ensure the safety and sanitation conditions of each room. They are conducted by members of the hall staff and take place the first Tuesday of every month with the exception of January, when it takes place the Tuesday after classes begin. These inspections take place between the hours of 10:00 am and 10:00 pm on the scheduled days. It is not necessary for you to be present during these checks.
Each residence hall desk is staffed 24 hours a day and closed circuit cameras are used to monitor each door that is not easily visible from the desk area. Any attempt to circumvent the security measures is a violation of policy and may result in disciplinary action up to and including removal from the residence halls.
If a tornado warning or alarm is issued, it is important for you to move from your room to a designated safe area, away from the top floors of the residence halls and any areas having exterior windows or glass. Your hall staff will direct you to the designated safe area in your hall. Timeliness and cooperation is of utmost importance. Ask members of your hall staff for more inforation regarding tornado procedures.
Window Bars and Window Stops
Tampering or removal of window safety equipment may result in disciplinary sanctions and $40.00 charge to replace the damaged equipment.
Possession or use of firearms, explosives (including fireworks), dangerous chemicals or other dangerous weapons or brandishing of any weapon or any other object in a menacing or threatening manner on institutionally controlled property is prohibited. Weapons may be defined as any object or substance designed to incflict a wound, cause injury or incapacitate. Weapons may include but are not limited to: all firearms, pellet guns, stun guns, paintball guns, slingshots, martial arts devices, switchblades, swords, decorative knives and clubs. Weapons will be confiscated by Central Office staff.