Study Abroad Honors Credit
Can I earn Honors credit while studying abroad?
Yes! Although Honors Credit is not guaranteed, if you study abroad with a WKU-approved program for a semester or more, you may apply for Honors credit for select courses. If your study abroad course lasts less than a full semester, such as a winter or summer term, then you need to complete an Honors Augmentation Contract if you wish to be considered for Honors credit for the course.
How much Honors credit can I earn while studying abroad?
There are three options to earn Honors Credit while studying abroad for a full semester or more:
- If you are studying abroad in an English-speaking institution, in an English-speaking country, you can select three credit hours for honors credit per semester.
- If you are studying abroad in a non-English speaking institution (i.e. if your classes were taught in a language used in the region), in a non-English speaking country, you can select six credit hours for honors credit per semester.
- If you are studying abroad at Harlaxton College and enroll in the honors section of British Studies (HIST 324), you can select six credit hours for honors credit.
- If you are studying abroad in an English speaking institution, in a non-English speaking
country, you can select three credit hours for honors credit.
- If you took a language class to learn a native language spoken in the region, you will receive an additional 3 hours of honors credit.
- If you did not take a language class, you can petition for three more credit hours by explaining how you capitalized on language and cultural immersion outside the classroom and how it has improved your skills.
You may choose any course that you are taking while abroad; be sure to pick a course that fits what Honors requirements you have yet to fulfill. You need to make sure that the course you select will transfer properly. For example, if you are picking the course to fulfill a specific general education requirement, you need to confirm it will transfer back to WKU in that particular general education category. Please discuss which course(s) you want to count as Honors credit with the Honors College Academic Advisor well in advance of departing for your trip.
Are there any other important requirements related to earning Honors Credit abroad?
- Your Study Abroad Honors Credit Application must be submitted to the Honors College the beginning of fall or spring break of the semester following your study abroad experience. Late applications will not be accepted.
- You cannot receive Honors Credit until your study abroad credit has officially transferred back to WKU and is on your WKU transcript. You may turn in your Study Abroad Honors Credit Application upon your return, but the form cannot be processed until the study abroad credit has officially transferred.
- You must earn an “A” or “B” in a course for it to be accepted as Honors credit.
- A course cannot be substituted to fulfill a different area for Honors. If WKU accepts the credit as an elective, a major/minor requirement, or a specific general education category, then that is where the course will count as Honors credits as well.
- You can only receive a maximum of 12 Honors Study Abroad Credits during your WKU Honors undergraduate experience.
- No Honors student is guaranteed to receive Honors credit for their study abroad experience; a committee of faculty and/or staff will make the decision. Students may appeal decision to the Director of the Honors College.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,