Gatton Academy & Craft Academy Graduates Research and Experiential Learning Award
As a recipient of a WKU targeted scholarship for Gatton Academy and Craft Academy graduates, you are eligible for an additional $12,000 (up to $3,000 per academic year for four years) to support research, creative endeavors, experiential learning, and professional development activities. This scholarship is meant to enhance your academic experience and create opportunities for you to grow and learn outside of the classroom.
- You can use the funding to pursue research, creative work, professional development, or other experiential learning, including study abroad that contributes to your academic and/or professional goals.
- If you are considering using this funding, you should accept the award on TopNet. Accepting the award does not mean that you are committed to using the funding in a given year but ensures that you will have access to the funding during the year.
- To access the funding, you should develop a proposal with a WKU faculty member and submit the proposal to Associate Director Susann Davis (see the proposal guidelines). If you have questions about what is possible, please contact Susann Davis. The key to writing a successful proposal is demonstrating how the project or experience will enhance your academic experience and contribute to your professional goals.
- A WKU faculty member must approve your project, but you do not necessarily have to work with a WKU faculty member on the project. For example, you could request funds to participate in research at the National Institutes of Health, but WKU faculty member must agree to monitor and assess your activities.
- You can apply for $1500 per semester or $3000 for summer research or to support study abroad.
- Once your application has been accepted, the funding will be applied to your TopNet account. Any outstanding fees will be paid prior to the funding being released to your Higher One Card.
- At the end of each semester (or summer), you must submit a progress report (see progress report guidelines). You will be ineligible for future funding until your progress report has been submitted.
- If you use the Research and Experiential Learning Award to enhance your undergraduate experience, you will be required to complete an Honors Capstone Experience/Thesis project.
- All proposals must be received at least two weeks before the start of finals to be applied to any given term.
To be eligible for funding, you must:
- be a recipient of a Gatton Academy & Craft Academy Graduates Targeted Scholarship from WKU,
- maintain full-time enrollment and good standing in the Honors College,
- meet the minimum renewal requirements for the Gatton Academy & Craft Academy Graduates Targeted Scholarship from WKU,
- and submit proposals and progress reports as outlined above.