Skip to main content

Honors College

Academic Advising

Welcome to Honors College Academic Advising! Our advising team are here to help you fulfill your honors requirements and navigate your college experience. Check out our advising requirements and FAQ’s to find out more!



  • Students must fulfill “good standing” requirements. Check out our Honors College Good Standing Policy.
  • All students in the Honors College are required to meet with their assigned Honors Advisor every semester.
  •  Students in their first and second years of the Honors College or on “Warning Semester” will be required to meet with their advisor during the “advising season” (after classes are released for the next semester and prior to the priority registration date) to be eligible for priority registration.

Who is my Honors College Academic Advisor and how do I make an advising appointment?

  • You will use TopNet to make an appointment with your designated honors advisor. You will access the advisor calendar by going through “Student Services,” to “Registration,” and clicking “Schedule an Advising Appointment.”
  • At this point you will be able to choose between your major advisor and honors advisor. Choose from the list of available days and times.
  • After making the advising appointment you will receive an Advising Appointment Information form which you will fill out and submit no later than 24 hour before your appointment.
  • You can find a video tutorial on this process here.

How can I earn Honors credit?

  • Most Honors credit is earned through completing stand-alone Honors courses including (additional Curriculum info):
    • Honors Colonnade courses
    • Honors upper level courses
    • Honors elective courses
    • Designated Honors courses (HON 300, HON 102, HON 105)
    • HON 251: Citizen and Self (required for all students)
    • Honors Internship (HON 275, 375) 
    • Honors Research or Thesis (HON 303, 403, 404)
    • Check out the Honors courses offered for this semester or next semester. 
    • Honors Augmentation Contracts (HACs)
    • Honors Enriched Embedded Courses (HEECs). A HEEC is a small Honors section of an upper-division course that meets at the same time as the non-Honors section but includes additional opportunities and responsibilities.
    • Study Abroad Honors Credit

How can I check on my Honors credits?

  • It’s important to keep track of what requirements you need to fulfill (Honors upper level credits, Colonnade credits, if your study abroad credit transferred has been designated as an Honors credit etc.). You can do this by running your ICAP.
  • You ICAP will give you a detailed look at Honors courses taken in the past and in process. This form will help you to fill out the Honors Advising Information form required for an advising appointment.
  • Check out the tutorials on how to run and read ICAPs here.

What is a Warning Semester and can I appeal my Warning Semester designation?

  • Students placed on Warning Semester are those who have not fulfilled the Good Standing Honors hours or GPA requirements and will be required to meet with their assigned academic advisor once a semester. Students also do not qualify for certain benefits such as applying for HC grants.
  • You can find the policies and procedures for that process here.

When is priority registration and why should I care about it?

  • The priority registration date for the Winter Term 2016 is Oct. 10th.
  • The priority registration date for the Spring 2017 semester is Nov. 4th.
  • It allows all Honors students, regardless of their class status, to be among the first students to register for the following semester’s classes if they have met with their advisor. Students therefore have a much better chance of successfully registering for the classes and times desired.

Are there any scholarships offered through the Honors College?

How can I ask questions that aren’t answered on the FAQ?


Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 7/14/16