Kentucky School Board Association Training Module
The Role of School Board Members in Reducing District Excellence Gaps
Board/Superintendent Team Training Module
Only 3% of Kentucky’s low-income fourth-graders and 2% of low-income eighth-graders scored advanced on national assessments. This is one example of the seriousness of Excellence Gaps in this state. School board members accept the responsibility to insure that all students have the opportunity to learn as much as they can. This training module will use videos, scenarios, and small group discussions to build an understanding of Excellence Gaps and why it is imperative that more students from all demographic groups learn at advanced levels. Board members will be prepared to examine their local district policies and make changes that will accelerate learning for students.
Information presented in this training module is applicable in a Board member’s role as a charter school authorizer.
List of Resources for Module - 75 Minutes
- Outline of Module
- The Role of School Board Members in Reducing Excellence Gaps (Powerpoint with notes)
- Myths Quiz (handout)
- Give Excellence a Chance (video)
- Scenarios (handout)
- The Role of School Board Members in Reducing Excellence Gaps (video)
- Intended and Unintended Consequences of the Following Policies (blank handout)
- Intended and Unintended Consequences of the Following Policies (complete handout)
- Online Toolkit
List of Resources for Follow-Up Module - 30 Minutes