“If you tie your balloon, will you be able to power your car more than once? Think
about it – I’m not going to tell you the answer. Solve your problem. Use your resources.
Then you’re thinking outside of the box!”
— Stephanie Helton, 2019 Camp Innovate science instructor, speaking to her class
The Center for Gifted Studies’ Camp Innovate (formerly known as The Summer Camp) is
a one-week day camp designed for students with advanced ability and high interest
who were in grades three, four, or five during the previous school year.
- The experience features hands-on and minds-on instruction to engage children in learning at advanced levels. Throughout the week, teachers experienced in gifted education guide the students in learning that is differentiated for their particular needs and advanced levels.
- The camp’s approach is interdisciplinary: students study the big idea of "innovation" across a variety of disciplines like language arts, math, science, social studies, theater, and art.
- Specific course content changes each year. Activities can include such projects as building prototypes of inventions to solve everyday problems, painting a class mural, reading and writing about about innovators, and learning about slopes by graphing how how far a Barbie doll can bungee.
- Registration is limited to 50 children.
For more about the Camp Innovate experience, see our blog posts Camp Innovate’s Teaching Strategies Give Students the Power andScenes of Innovation: Camp Innovate Builds, Tests, and Creates.
Camp Innovate meets in Gary A. Ransdell Hall on the campus of Western Kentucky University. Ransdell Hall is the home of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. It is located at the corner of Regents Street and Normal Drive.
Children bring their lunches. Teachers and children eat together either in the building or on the patio, depending on the weather.
July 6 - 10, 2020
- Students must be completing 3rd, 4th or 5th grade, show high interest and ability, and be recommended by an educator.
- Tuition is $375.
- Tuition is due with completed application.
- Limited financial assistance is available. Contact our office at 270-745-6323 for information.
- 9:00 am - 2:00 pm (CDT) daily