WKU Student Information
- Math Placement
- Developmental Course Placement
- College Readiness Indicators
- International Students
- Adult Learners
- Academic Support Programs & Resources
College Readiness in Kentucky
- College Readiness at the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE)
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- Kentucky's 2011-15 Strategic Agenda "Stronger by Degrees"
- KY Public Postsecondary Education Admission Regulation (13:KAR 2:020 Revised June 2011)
- Senate Bill 1 (2009)
WKU Readiness Outreach Programs
MATH PLACEMENT INFORMATION
Students in undergraduate programs at Western Kentucky University are required to complete one Mathematics course for General Education requirements. The course that must be completed is determined by standardized tests such as the ACT, SAT, etc, as well as the Math Placement Exam (MPE). This information, provided by the College Readiness Office, allows students and advisors to view the qualifying information for the specific math course needed by major and determine appropriate placement based on test scores. After reviewing the below information , if there are questions about which math course a student needs or qualifies for, please email College Readiness at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the program specific advisor.
Math Placement Exam (MPE)
The Math Placement Exam (MPE) is on-line and necessary for successful placement into College Algebra (MATH 116 or above). This exam is taken during the Academic Transitions Program (ATP), however the exam score expires after one year if the student does not enroll or complete the necessary General Education requirement in Math. The student can also retake the exam once during that year, but that does not change the original test expiration date.
To determine if your original score has expired, follow these steps:
- Log-in to TopNet,
- Click on "Student Services,"
- Click on "Registration,"
- Click on "View Test Scores and Course Eligibility,"
- View MPE score and date of test taken & test expiration date. (If no MPE score is listed, the score has expired)
Information on majors that require 116 or above, and scores required:
Requirement by Major - Listing of All Majors Programs in alphabetical order and by College