Department of Folk Studies and Anthropology
Thank you for your interest in Folk Studies and Anthropology! Our department offers
an undergraduate major in Anthropology, undergraduate minors in Folklore and in Anthropology,
a Master of Arts in Folk Studies, a Folk Studies JUMP (Joint Undergraduate-Master's Program), and a number of General Education and Colonnade
courses. We also are the home of two award-winning public outreach programs, the Kentucky Folklife Program and the Kentucky Archaeological Survey.
What do I do with a degree in Folklore or Anthropology?
According to a survey of recent graduates:
- 88% of graduates of our Masters of Arts in Folk Studies program are employed in a job related to our field or were accepted into doctoral programs after graduating
- 73% of our undergraduate Folklore Minors were employed after graduation
- 17% of our Minors went on to a graduate program after graduation
- Graduates of our programs are public folklorists, museum curators, educators, preservationists, film producers, professors, and even intelligence analysts.
According to a recent survey of our undergraduate Anthropology graduates:
- 74% are employed following graduation
- 21% progressed on to graduate school
- Our former students are working in related fields including contract archaeology, cultural resource management, museums, medical anthropology, visual media, international education, the non-profit sector, and other exciting areas.
Please come visit us in our departmental office in Room 237 of the Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center, or contact us for more information.
Congratulations to KY's 2020 Folk & Traditional Arts Master Artist Fell...
Mar 26th, 2020
The Kentucky Folklife Program is excited to share the news that three Kentucky traditional artists have been recognized as the 2020 Folk & Traditional...
WKU to Host Annual State Archaeology Conference on Feb 28-March 1
Feb 21st, 2020
WKU will host the 37th Annual Kentucky Heritage Council Archaeology Conference on the Bowling Green campus. It brings professional archaeologists and...