Fly fishing workshops (non-credit)
Fly fishing is a wonderful and satisfying activity, but some quality instruction can go a long way in helping you get started. Our workshops are designed with the beginner in mind so don't worry if you don't have any experience.
Note: If you are interested in scheduling a fly fishing related workshop (such as those listed below) please contact WKU Lifelong Learning
Fly Fishing Sampler
- What's different about fly fishing?
- It's not just for trout – find out which fish you can catch
- Fly fishing in Kentucky... really? Where?
- Getting acquainted with the equipment.
- Are you smarter than a fish? Tie your own flies.
- You can cast a fly rod... I know you can.
- Let's try to catch a fish (if you have a license).
Other exciting fly fishing opportunities:
Introduction to fly fishing
- How is fly fishing different than other types of fishing?
- Is there anywhere around here to fly fish?
- What kind of fish can I catch?
- How is a fly rod and reel different than other fishing equipment?
- What do I need to know about buying equipment?
- How do I know what flies to use?
- And answers to other similar questions.
Fly tying workshop
- Fly tying kit and tools are included with the workshop fee.
- Basic proficiency in using fly tying tools
- Basic fly tying techniques
- Application of techniques by tying several different fly patterns
- Knowledge of how the flies should be used
Fly casting workshop
- Personal instruction
- Properly identify the parts of the fly fishing equipment
- Properly assemble the fly fishing equipment
- Demonstrate the primary casts used in fly fishing (forward, back, false, roll, side, S)
- Discuss the casts and their proper usage