Fly Fishing Montana
Travel portion: Sept 16-21, 2019
Welcome to the WKU Fly Fishing Montana program. Established in 2012, this innovative program was designed to serve university students and "provide opportunities for people of the region to be educated, entertained, assisted, and inspired outside the classroom."*
This program includes two options:
1) University students - 3 credit hour course (for WKU and other schools too).
2) Community members - seeking a fly-fishing adventure with WKU faculty and students. The program provides the experience without the logistics.
*WKU Strategic Plan 2018-2028
Join us and experience fly fishing on world renowned waters containing 5 species of trout: rainbow, brown, cutthroat, hybrid cutbow, and brook. These waters offer anglers a chance at a "Grand Slam" (catching 4-5 species of trout in one day).
What does program include?
- 4 full days of fly fishing and instruction (float trips with one guide and 2 anglers per boat)
- Use of fly fishing equipment (rod, reel, etc.)
- Fishing license + associated fees
- Terminal tackle (leader, tippet, flies)
- Guide gratuity (participants can tip more if desired)
- 5 nights lodging (two participants per room)
- Lunch Tuesday-Friday
- Missoula airport hotel shuttle.
Transportation to/from Missoula, MT not included in program cost. Participants need to arrive in Missoula no later than Monday evening. Most participants
will fly home Saturday.
- No prior fishing experience is required.
- Fly fishing equipment is provided to use during the course or program.
- Program includes on-campus (students) and off-campus instruction (students and community).
- Students are responsible for transportation to off-campus locations during pre-Montana class sessions (if applicable).
Course Objectives (for students)
Join us for a fantastic course designed to teach you the fundamentals of fly fishing. Fly fishing is a lifetime leisure pursuit; treat yourself to some quality instruction to jump start the learning curve.
- Acquire an understanding of fly fishing equipment.
- Be able to tie key knots needed for fly fishing.
- Effectively tie common fly patterns.
- Demonstrate proper fly casting techniques.
- Effectively present flies when fishing on flat and moving water.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of entomology as it relates to fishing.
Promo video created by WKU student, Reed Mattison.
Academic class meeting dates/times for WKU students
Tuesdays, 2:20-5:05pm, 8/27, 9/3, 9/10, 10/1
Sept 16-21, 2019: Program Travel Itinerary
- Monday- Arrive in Missoula, MT
- Tuesday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
- Wednesday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
- Thursday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
- Friday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
- Saturday - Say goodbye to Montana and your new friends before heading home.
Program Cost* sliding scale - estimate as of 1/30/19. A limited number of student mini-grants available.
- $2,099 = 5 participants
- $1,999 = 7 or 9 participants
- $1,899 = 11 participants
- $1,849 = 13/15/17 participants
*Part-time WKU students (less than 12 hours) and non-WKU university students will be charged tuition in addition to the program fee. Please contact Dr. Poff for details.
*May 10 = Deadline for priority application and payment of deposit. This deadline will be used to determine final program cost.
Info Sheets / Community Application
Please contact Dr. Raymond Poff via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for specific details about this program.
We are pleased to continue our long-term relationship with Russell Parks (#9928 licensed Montana Outfitter) Missoula Fly Fishing Outfitters, LLC. Russell has provided our guiding services since 2011. We are also happy to continue working with the Missoulian Angler fly shop in Missoula, MT; Missoula's oldest fly shop.
Sept 16-21, 2019