Facebook Pixel Teaching ESL & Rank II/I Certification | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Teaching ESL & Rank II/I Certification

English as a Second Language Tutorial Opportunities

Learn more about Teaching English as a Second Language graduate options.


Rank II/I Certification

Students seeking Rank II or Rank I certification for Grades 8-12 must have or be eligible for a secondary school teaching certificate and must include a copy with the application for admission. While the M.A. in English does not lead to intitial K-12 teacher certification, the degree does satisfy Kentucky state requirements for teachers to advance in rank. We're proud to have served many Kentucky teachers in this capacity. Kentucky candidates whose certificates have expired may be admitted, but they may enroll for only six hours before the must apply to the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board for reissued certificates. After completion of six hours, such students must submit a copy of the re-issued certificate before being allowed to register for any additional courses. Applicants from out-of-state with expired certificates must complete the requirements for their respective states to renew their certificates and submit a copy of the reissued certificate.

Go to Kentucky’s EPSB (Education Professional Standards Board) website for additional information.




Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/5/19