English Department Calendar
Submission due date: The Alan Miller Memorial Award for Writing on the Environment
- Date: Friday, April 18th, 2014
- Time: 4:30pm
- Location: English Office (Cherry Hall 135)
Submissions may include, but are not limited to, a scholarly and/or creative work that:
• Emphasizes environmental issues
• Supports agrarianism—promoting rural societies, the support of agricultural groups, and the
significance of the farmer
• Addresses the current state of the environment and how it can be improved, be it locally, nationally, or globally.
• Discusses the debate between conservation and spirituality of the human/non-human world
• Offers a criticism of pro-industrial development versus destruction of nature
• Discusses strategies in maintaining environmental sustainability
• Exposes the presence of human beings and their role/impact in nature
Previous Winner: Meghan Kennedy, “Their Land, My Land, and The Grapes of Wrath”
The winner of this award will receive $200.
DEADLINE: April 18, 2014.
Leave submissions in Cherry Hall 135 by closing time at 4:30 p.m.
Please contact Dr. Ted Hovet with questions.