Publishing Opportunities: The Ashen Egg
The Ashen Egg is an annual journal publishing analytical essays on literature, rhetoric, linguistics, film, and popular culture. Any current WKU undergraduate student may submit scholarly work to The Ashen Egg. Submissions must be endorsed by a WKU English faculty member confirming that the submission is a piece produced for one of the faculty member's courses and that it is worthy for publication.
Manuscripts may range from 750 to 3000 words, though exceptions may be made for submissions of stellar quality. Essays must follow the Modern Language Association style guidelines as defined in the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (latest edition). All submissions must be in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins on all sides, and be free of typographical and grammatical errors.
Submissions must be received in CH 135 or emailed to Dr. Alison Langdon at firstname.lastname@example.org by the May deadline each academic year, and must be accompanied by the submission cover sheet to be considered.
Cover sheets are also available in CH 135. In the case of electronic submission, an email from the endorsing faculty member may count as their signature.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding The Ashen Egg
- Does the submission need to have been written this academic year? No. Students may submit anything written for one of their English classes at any point in their career at WKU.
- Does the submission need to be research-based? No. We accept any analytical/thesis-driven papers.
- May a student submit more than one paper? Yes, though we will not select more than one by the same student for publication in a given volume.
- May a student submit who has previously been published in The Ashen Egg? Yes.
- May a student submit who is graduating this year? Yes.
- Will you accept papers that exceed 3000 words? Yes. Most published essays range between 750-3000 words, but we will consider longer submissions.
- If a student has presented or plans to present a paper at a conference, is that paper still eligible to submit to The Ashen Egg? Yes. As long as the paper hasn't been published elsewhere, the student may submit it.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,