State of complete physical, mental, and social well-being as experienced by men and not merely the absence of disease.
- Compared to women, men are more likely to smoke & drink, make unhealthy & risky choices, and put off regular checkup & medical care.
- Many major health risks that men face can be prevented such as colon cancer or heart disease.
- 12.4% of men over 18 who have poor health
- 30.7% of men over 18 who had five or more drinks in 1 day at least once in the past year.
- 15.8% of men over 18 who smoke cigarettes
- 36.6% of men over 20 who are overweight
- A large amount of belly fat (where men typically gain weight) can increase risk of: cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, & high blood pressure.
Including fitness in college:
- Walk or bike to class
- Join an intermural sports
- Walk instead of taking the bus
- Take a fitness class
- Go to the Preston Center
- Get a group of people togther for a basketball game
- Swim laps at the pool