Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts
WKU and the MyCAA Scholarship Program
ATTENTION: ALL eligible MyCAA recipients please select WKU in the AI portal when uploading your Education and Training Plan.
Building on WKU’s mission to serve the citizens of Kentucky, the Continuing & Professional Development online programs offer a variety of non-credit workforce and professional development training opportunities that will enable participants to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing and highly competitive global economy.
All of the courses offered through the Continuing & Professional Development are ideal for military spouses, regardless of background or career path. Participants will find these programs to be particularly convenient as they are available online any time and are accessible to students from anywhere. Once you have completed a program, you will receive a certificate of completion from WKU and/or go on to seek industry certification.
- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides financial assistance for military spouses.
- MyCAA provides spouses up to $4,000 over 2 years to pursue degree programs, licenses or credentials that lead to employment in portable career fields.
- Spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2
- Spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members at E1-E5, W1-Wd and O1-O2 pay grades (spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders) Note: The MyCAA program does not include Coast Guard spouses.
MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays tuition for education and training courses, and licensing/credentialing fees. This includes:
- State certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other occupations requiring recognized certifications;
- Licensing exams and related prep courses;
- Continuing Education Unit (CEU) classes;
- Degree programs leading to employment in portable career fields; and
- High school completion course, GED tests, and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.
- Assisted Living Technician
- Clinical Medical Assistant Certificate
- Clinical Nurse Aide Certificate
- Dental Assisting Certificate
- Dialysis Technician Certificate
- EKG Technician Certificate
- Electronic Health Record Management
- Health Information Technology for Implementation Support Certificate
- Health Information Technology for Support Specialist Certificate
- Home Health Aide
- Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical Billing & Coding w/ Medical Administrative Assistant
- Nursing Assistant Specialist
- Personal Care Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician w/ Medical Administrative Assistant
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Physician Office Assistant Professional with EHRM
- Childcare Specialist Certificate
- Administrative Assistant with Bookkeeping & Quickbooks
NOTE: Laptop is included in our program at NO additional cost (student can keep upon completion of the program)
Please be advised on all Clinical Externships:
Students must score eighty-percent (80%) or higher on all tests, quizzes and final exams to qualify for clinical externship placement. An average of eighty-percent (80%) or higher must be maintained in the course program to receive a certificate of completion from WKU.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) prepares students of all backgrounds to be productive, engaged, and socially responsible citizen-leaders of a global society. The University provides research, service, and lifelong learning opportunities for its students, faculty, and other constituents. WKU enriches the quality of life for those within its reach.