Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

A: In undergraduate programs:

  • Advertising (BA)
  • Corporate & Organizational Communication (BA)
  • Communication Studies (BA)
  • Popular Culture Studies (BA)
  • Public Relations
  • Minor in Communication Studies
  • Minor in Digital Advertising

A: In graduate programs:

  • Organizational Communication (MA)
  • Communicating in Organization (Graduate Certificate)
  • Communicating in Healthcare (Graduate Certificate)


A: Corporate and Organizational Communication: Provides an interdisciplinary program for students seeking careers that require communication skills in organizational settings such as training and development, public affairs, non-profit management, government relations, marketing, sales, human resources, public relations, and entrepreneurial endeavors.

A: Communication Studies: This major takes a liberal arts approach to developing responsible communicators in a variety of situations: one-on-one, small group, public, interpersonal, intercultural, and organizational settings. This major requires a second major or minor.


A: COMM 200: Communication Foundations

COMM 300: Introduction to Communication Research Methods

COMM 345: Advanced Public Speaking

COMM 348: Interpersonal Communication

COMM 362: Organizational Communication

COMM 463: Intercultural Communication

COMM 494: Capstone in Communication (1 hour portfolio) – Senior standing, majors only


A: Law, Religion, Teaching, Banking, Nonprofit Management, Public Relations, Healthcare Management, Politics, Coordinator, Director, Sales, Recruiter, Analyst, Medical Adviser, Lobbyist, Pharmaceutical, Training, Representative, Mediator, Public Relations Specialist, Public Administrator, Human Rights Officer, Media Specialist, Educational Researcher, etc.



A: For Undergraduate Students:

A: For Graduate Students:

  • COGS- Communication Organization Graduate Students – Dr. Blair Thompson, Advisor


How Does Priority Registration Work?


WKU requires you to have a “hold” released on your registration account before enrolling in classes for Fall and Spring semesters (this doesn’t apply to Winter or Summer terms).  The aim is for students to have a real conversation with a knowledgeable faculty member or professional advisor so you can get direction about appropriate next courses, learn about goings-on in your major, and have an opportunity to ask questions.  The time you spend being advised is an investment in your own timely graduation.

Schedule your appointment through the Department of Communication’s main office (FAC 130 / 270-745-3296).  This may not feel as convenient as using WKU’s self-scheduling utility in TopNet, but it’s one small way you and your major department can maintain a more personal connection, and we like that.  Contacting your advisor directly to schedule your appointment interrupts someone else’s advising session, and the back-and-forth of exchanging e-mails is rarely efficient.

Tell us your situation. We may be able to set up a "meeting" via telephone or e-mail. 

In a very real sense, every returning student at WKU has “priority registration.”  Some have earlier “priority” than others – seniors ahead of juniors, etc.

“Earned hours” are credits you get by passing your classes.  Courses in which you are currently enrolled aren’t earned hours until actually completed.  Your registration priority is determined in part based on the number of hours you have already earned.

Your communication advisor does not have authority to manage course enrollment in another department. Contact the department that administers the course, or e-mail the professor. 

That blue bar contains information about the one class directly above that bar in the Schedule. Read this information carefully. 
Sometimes this note pups up during the self-registration process, and prevents you from getting into a class. If this happens, read the course's catalog description to see what you lack. Sometimes "instructor permission" can override the lack of a pre-requisite course. If you get this message in error for a Communication course, contact the Communication Department office. 
Depending on how the course fits into your degree program, you may have several in the future, or choose a different course; or contact the professor to find out his/her policy about adding students above the cap.  In all cases keep watching the schedule for an opening to occur!


Additonal Questions

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/4/18