Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning - Blackboard Collaborate - Faculty
Creating Your Sessions
Once within the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tool, you can create your own sessions. These sessions are the rooms where you will hold your synchronous meetings.
1. Select the Create Session button in the top, right-hand corner of the Sessions screen.
2. Give the New Session a title.
3. Choose whether or not guests can access the session (people who are outside of users in your course site). This is important if you have a guest speaker participating or students from a different section of your course. If you would like to allow guest access, select the Guest Access box and select the dropdown menu under Guest Role to choose the guest role within the session.
4. Copy the Guest Link to distribute to guests.
5. Distinguish when the session will start and end.
6. Select No End (Open Session) if you would like to keep the session open indefinitely. Selecting No End is a good idea, if you would like to re-use the same session/room for multiple meetings.
7. Skip Repeat Session.
8. Select the Early Entry dropdown menu and choose the earliest a student can access the session.
9. Expand Session Settings by clicking the dropdown arrow.
10. Under Default Participant Role, click the dropdown menu and select the participant role. This decides what permissions your students will have upon entering the session. For more information regarding Roles, please see the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Roles webpage. If you have questions regarding what roles your students should have for a particular project, please contact CITL.
11. Select Allow Recording Downloads if you want to allow participants to download the recording.
12. Choose whether or not participants can share their audio, video, post chat messages, and/or draw on the whiteboard and files.
13. Select Allow users to join the session using a telephone if you want to allow participants to use their phone to join the session. This is useful in cases of technical difficulty. Click Save.
14. Give the session a short description and click Save.