Plans of Study
These plans are designed to show how a chemistry or biochemistry major (often with a minor or second major) can be accomplished in 8 semesters while remaining at or near the 120-hour minimum. While every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy and feasibility of these plans, check with your adviser before registering for classes.
Currently available plans (uses Colonnade Courses, and assumes requirements for catalog year 2018 and later), other plans available upon request through department office)
- Chemistry-oriented plans (for those interested in chemistry or biochemistry as a field)
- ACS-certified chemistry major (more rigorous; no minor required -- recommended for those interested in research
or graduate study)
- General Chemistry major (requires a minor)
- Chemistry major with biophysics minor
- Biochemistry major w/ ACS certification in chemistry
- Biochemistry major
- ACS-certified chemistry major (more rigorous; no minor required -- recommended for those interested in research or graduate study)
- Plans with pre-health professional requirements included (check with the appropriate
pre-health professional advisor, as these plans may not apply to all schools)
- Joint Undergraduate-Master's program (JUMP, a five-year program)
- BS in Chemistry (ACS certified) /MS in Chemistry
- BS in Biochemistry (ACS certified)/MS in Chemistry (focuses on biochem grad work)
- HS Teacher Certification (couples with SMED major)
Note: The chemistry major/biophysics minor with pre-pharmacy requirements puts almost all non-elective courses in the first 3 years (this schedule does not have to be followed for students planning on remaining at WKU for 4 years). Some pre-pharmacy students leave after 3 years and can transfer back credits to complete the degree within the first 2 years of pharmacy school. Courses for which credit can be transferred back are indicated in italics. See a pre-pharmacy adviser for more details.
If you are interested in other plans of study that include a chemistry or biochemistry major, e-mail the department chair.