Facebook Pixel 1098-T Information | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content


Important IRS Changes Regarding Your Taxes


Regulatory Change for 1098T Reporting

The Internal Revenue Service has implemented a change to the requirements universities must follow when producing IRS tax form 1098T for the 2018 tax year which covers student account activity posted January 1–December 31, 2018.

IRS regulations will require Western Kentucky University (and all universities) to report the amount of paid qualified tuition and fees in Box 1. This is different because the reporting of tuition and fees billed in Box 2 will no longer be allowed.

You may want to consult with your tax advisor with any questions as the university cannot offer any tax advice regarding 1098T forms.


IRS Form 1098-T: Tuition Payment Statement

Western Kentucky University will send a 1098-T form (Tuition Payment Statement) to students who incurred tuition and fee expenses paid in the calendar year.  Taxpayers are not required to include the form with their tax return.  To help taxpayers determine qualified expenses eligible for the credit, a summary of charges, payments and refunds made in the calendar year will be provided on the form.  This financial information should not be construed as tax advice.  It is simply a summary of the University's financial records. 

Students who have selected to receive their 1098-T electronically will be notified via email that their form is available on TopNet.  This notification will typically occur during the second week of January.

The 1098-T form will be mailed to the student's current mailing address during the last week of January for those students who did not select to receive theirs electronically.  Please allow two (2) weeks for delivery before calling the Billings and Receivables Office about the form. 

Forms will also be available on TopNet under "Student Services - Tax Notification" beginning the last week of January.


Tax Information - 1098T FAQs


Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN)

Your social security number (SSN) or tax identification number (TIN) is required by the IRS for verification and to ensure accuracy and will be used for filing a 1098-T tax form (Tuition Statement) with the Internal Revenue Service.

If you have been issued a SSN or TIN and the university does not have record of the SSN or TIN, please complete all parts on the below form:

Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number

You may either bring the form to the Billings and Receivables Office in Potter Hall, Room 208 or mail the form to the below address:

Billings and Receivables Office
Western Kentucky University 
1906 College Heights Blvd, #11022
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1022

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 2/20/19