WKU Dietetic Internship is participating in Phase II (second round) application process. Please go to Application Process page for information.
The mission of the WKU dietetic internship is to prepare competent entry-level dietitians who assume leadership responsibilities within their profession and who are engaged citizens in their communities.
Goals and Outcome Measures
Goal 1: The program will prepare graduates to be competent, entry-level dietitian nutritionists or professionals in fields related to dietetics.
- At least 80% of program interns comlete program/degree requirements within 13 months (150% of the program length).
- Of graduates who seek employment, 70% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields with in 12 months of graduation.
- 80% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program's one year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year on first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- 80% of employers surveyed will rate program graduates average or above on the employer surveys.
Goal 2: The program will encourage graduates to be professionally involved and to assume leadership responsibilities in the dietetics profession and their communities.
- 60% of responses from program graduates will indicate membership in one or more professional organizations.
- 80% of program graduates are maintaining RDN status.
- 50% of program graduates will attain dietetics leadership or management positions.
- 80% of program graduates will report they participate in community service activities through employment or volunteer activities.
Goal 3: The program will prepare graduates to be engaged in their communities either professionally or through service activities.
- Over a five-year period, 75% of graduates who respond to the Alumni Survey will report they participate in one or more community service activities.
* Bold lettering indicates outcomes required by ACEND.
The Western Kentucky University Dietetic Internship is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606-6995; (312) 899-0040 ext. 5400. For information on dietetic program accreditation, refer to: http://www.eatrightPRO.org/ACEND
The Dietetic Internship (DI) at Western Kentucky University (WKU) has a concentration in Community Nutrition and resides in the Department of Applied Human Sciences (AHS) within the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS).
The DI program is a full-time, 9-month program, and will start the week before the fall semester begins at Western Kentucky University. The program accepts ten (10) interns each year. Students will complete 32 weeks of supervised practice, with 12 weeks devoted to Medical Nutrition Therapy, 10 weeks to Community Nutrition, and 10 weeks to Foodservice Systems Management. Supervised practice hours are 40 hours/week. The program includes 1208 hours of dietetic supervised practice experiences with a concentration in Community Nutrition.
This DI is a post-baccalaureate program, leading to a Graduate Certificate in Dietetic Practice. The 12-hour graduate certificate will include the following didactic courses:
HMD 583 Foodservice Systems Management (3), HMD 584 Community Nutrition (3), HMD 586 Medical Nutrition Therapy in Practice (3), HMD 587 Seminar in Concepts and Methods of Dietetic Practice (3)
Part of the HMD 587 Seminar in Concepts and Methods of Dietetic Practice course will be online with the course culminating the last week of the internship in which the interns will have presentations, case studies, and an exit interview. For the remainder of the internship, students will be completing their required supervised practice hours and completing the other courses online (Foodservice Systems Management, Community Nutrition, and Medical Nutrition Therapy in Practice).
Outcome data measuring achievement of program objectives is available by contacting the internship director at: email@example.com .